Sunday, February 3, 2008

My first days in Bangkok

After spending the morning mourning I remembered how that the last time I saw my grandpa he was very interested that I was going to Thailand and told me that I was going to learn a lot about life. So that is what I want to do- the best way to do that is by completely loosing yourself. I spent the past two days getting to know the area and just soaking everything in. I've been wandering around the city getting to know how to use the transit system and where the different neighborhoods are. I really don't want to do anything touristy right now because I will be living here for a month so I want to keep things new instead of rushing around the city. Plus it is about 90 degrees so you don't want to move too fast. The weather is very similar to Cleveland in August. I guess April is the hoteest moth of the year reachin up to 100! When visiting temples, you have to wear a dress shirt, shoes, and pants. For some reason I thought jeans would be comfortable- now I understand why everyone wears loose cotton clothing. I've never seen so many stray dogs and motorcycles in my life- watch the video below and look at the pic of the dog passed out with a cigarette in its mouth. I really am shocked about how common it is for western men to come here and buy wifes. A couple times in the hostel these guys started talking about purchasing women with no shame. Sexual tourism sadly is one of the countries biggest exports and women move from all over Thailand to find men in Bangkok. For everyone who asks or is wondering- No, I have not and will not contribute to the prostituion, if I could refrain in Amsterdam I can do it here. I'm 22, I don't have to pay for that.

Usually I only have a few days in each town when i travel but I actually have time to really expierience life out here. When I landed it kept going through my head that I won't be leaving for 3 months! Something has already woken inside of me, I just needed to get out of my normal routines of familiar scenery. I am so pleasantly culture shocked, I love being a foreigner! I can probably go one for about two months from what I've been through the past two days, but I'll keep it short. I want to write as much as I can now while everything is new because soon it will all start to become normal.

Here is a quick video of some of the pictures I have taken so far. The background music was the top hit in Thailand in 2004...haha I thought it added to the pictures.


Thailand really is "The Land of Smiles", everyone here is so friendly and it is not just because they want your money. All my senses have been overloaded- The architecture, clothing, billboards, sounds, all the different languages being spoke here, the smells of the market, the tastes of different foods, and the thick smell of pollution. That is the only downfall, some people walk around with masks over their mouths and nose to avoid inhaling the exhaust from all the cars, scooters, buses, and tuk-tuks. The thai language is so different from any other language I've tried to learn, especially since they have a whole different writing system. I have been practicing my thai- just with knowing a few words you can really impress the Thai. I am really excited because in a few hours my supervisor for my language and culture class will pick me up and I will get to meet the people taking the class. I am ready to learn more about the language and customs to make sure that i am not offending anyone.


So it is true, everything is really inexpensive out here. They use Baht here in Thailand and one US Dollar amounts to 32 baht. Here is a breakdown of some of the pricing:


My hostel was only 190 baht (about $6)


20 minute cab is about 160baht (less than $5)


20 minute motortaxi ride is about 70 baht ( about $2)


15 minute Tuk-Tuk 100 baht ($3)


1 litre of Gas 30 baht ($1)


A good size meal, breakfast, lunch or dinner 65 baht or less ($2)


Fresh squeezed OJ 10 baht (30 cents)


Red bull 10 baht ( 30 cents)


A 22oz beer at a bar 68 baht ($2)


1-hour Internet Cafe 30 baht ($1)


Phone calls- using Skype 2 cents a minute


1 hour massage 180 baht! ($6)


It is easy to get around town, the have a fast Sky train hat is similar to the BART in San Francisco and buses on every corner, a subway system, and trains to take you all over the country. The skytrain is very easy to use and I'm usually the only faraang (pronounced falang means western white man). The moped/scooter/motorcycle taxi rides are ridiculous! You see whole families sitting on the back of one with no helmets and these things whip through traffic! I've ridden a motorcycle for about 3 and a half years and I took a 20 minute ride and was scared out of my mind- maybe because my legs kept rubbing up to the busses we were passing. I guess I'm just not used to sitting on the back of a bike. The tuk-tuks are 3 wheeled open taxis that are pretty cheap to get around- they are not just for tourists either- locals commonly pack about 5 people inside each cart.


Well I have to pack my bags and take off for the next leg of my trip. I'm really glad I had 2 days off before my classes started to adjust myself to the city and lifestyle. I got to know some people and the area will- it was funny I actually ran into the people I met at the hostel around town- it's funny to recognize people on the streets and stop to talk to them in a new city. I'm loving Thailand!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are really doing it Eddie! Congratulations! I am vicariously excited for your experiences! You know, I think there is reason that us mid-westerners gravitate together- its to remind us that we should not feel guilty for exploring life and traveling. There are people just like you, from the same place as you- escaping the mundane for more. Everybody has the opportunity to do so, and those who take the chance to be adventurous should be rewarded with happiness! I am so stoked for you man, keep on going!

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. When Renee told me I got sick to my stomach. I really felt bad for you too, it would suck to hear that after you just left the country and there was nothing you can do. Keep your chin up, and travel as Grandpa Rosenbaum would have wanted you too. For now, I will be your stand-in and deal with the family. ;) haha just kidding-Bon voyage and soak it all up! ps-that dog with the cigarette was hilarious! I was shocked to see monks walking and smoking, too!

Unknown said...

Eddie, I am here with your Pops at Sly Fox and we are checking out your website. I am going to follow your trip.

Unknown said...

Eddie, Pops says everything is going good and your grandfather is going to a better place and sends his love.

Officer Bexly said...

Eddie--what a great site! I love keeping up with your travels :) It's a welcome break from the norm! We're all thinking of you and sending Happy Travel vibes your way :)
xoxoxo

Honeymoon bed breakfast said...

Well, Bangkok is a cultural experience as well as a thrilling up to date city. There are plenty of hot spots tourist attractions you shouldn't miss. Most of the favorite places are Grand Palace, Temple of the Dawn, Chatuchak Market, Chao Phraya River and Jim Thompson House.