Friday, February 1, 2008

Made it!

Whoa. wow. whoa.
My internal clock is a mess and I am confused as to what day it is but I made it to Thailand! After Ryan dropped me of at the Amtrak station in San Diego I took a 3 hour train to LA then a 1/2 hour bus to the airport. I don't know how it happened but my flight was leaving in 40 minutes and the security line was over an hour long. I caught eyes with one of the workers and for some reason she came up to me randomly and said, "Are you traveling alone?" when I said yes she brought me to the front of the line and I just made the final boarding call. Haha no matter what plane I take I am always the last one to get on. From LA was a 15 hour flight to Hong Kong and they gave you a fresh pair of socks and a toothbrush when entered the plane. It was a surprisingly comfortable and quick flight with good food and free drinks. From there was a 3 hour layover in Hong Kong then a 2 1/2 hour flight to Bangkok and when we landed at midnight it was 85 degrees.. A guy from Israel sat next to me and told me some great stories about his travels in Thailand. I was pumped and ready to explore. After landing was a long process of of immigration and baggage check and I guess I had someone from my volunteer project ready to pick my up but I didn't she her and took a cab to my hostel. They drive on the opposite side of the car and street so I was sitting passenger (which is normally the driver seat) as we zoomed through the city. Apparently its normal to drive in the middle of the road- haha. We got lost through alleys looking for the hostel but finally we found it. The area reminds me a lot of neighborhoods of Tijuana with stray dogs and people running businesses out of houses. It was nighttime so I couldn't see much, so it was great to wake up this morning and see the view.. I checked in and then had some drinks with the people in the lobby. The hostel is in a great part of Bangkok away from the hectic tourist areas. I met Jessie, Carrie, and Aaron and they were visiting from China as they are teachers as well. They funny part is that they were from Chicago- even though I'm so far away I still gravitate towards mid westerns! haha Good times, I'm off to explore until Sunday when I get picked up for my language and culture class.
laa Kawn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds super exciting Eddie! How fantastic to get to immerse yourself in an Asian culture! I'd love to see pics of your travels (can't forget your camera on a trip like this). Best to you! Tara Hanlon