Monday, February 18, 2008

Getting the hang of it!

After getting away for the weekend I felt much better about coming back to class. I've always told myself that I want to live in New York City at some point in my life. Well, this is like New York- but crazier. This city is huge! It is easy to get around though and is not so cut throat for having such a large population, people aren't in such a rush. It just feels like such a large over-populated concrete jungle at some points and all the exhaust from the diesel engines hits your lungs hard.



I had to add these pictures! haha Ronald McDonald and the Michelin man both are doing the Wai- How's that for enculturation?!



It was fun to figure out how to get to the island of Ko Si Chang all by myself with no one to help with the language barrier. The island isn't really well known besides the fact that it is a small fishing community. That meant it had AMAZING fresh seafood for next to nothing. I am still surprised at how far you can stretch your money here- which is good because I have no income for a few months... Anyway, I had this huge bowl of Thom Yun Kung for 80 baht ($2.60) and I think it had at least 20 shrimp in it- no joke. Then I had this squid stew that was so fresh while I was sitting outside a temple and it was only 25 baht- less than $1. The ferry over was 40 baht and the bus was 110. My own beach bungalow (not hostel) that was steps from the water was 250 baht- $8. I felt like I was living like a king and the whole weekend and it only cost me less than 1000 baht-$3o!


For being only 70 miles away from Bangkok the water was pretty clear. I was happy with the fresh air and peaceful quietness. The island was about 5 miles off shore and I noticed these crazy flying fish jumping out of the water to avoid the boat and fly for about 20 feet before going back in the water- it was quite bizarre! I was one of about 3 faraang (foreigners) on the island- at times I didn't know if I was intruding or welcomed but I decided just to step lightly and go ahead with it. I'm doing my best to learn Thai by surrounding myself in the language- it is helping me with pronunciation. It really felt good to get out and figure things out on my own; I am excited to travel around the rest of Thailand!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my friend was in thailand last semester and she has the same picture of the Ronald McDonald. fun video, thanks for checking out my blog!