Saturday, February 2, 2008

Goodbye Grandpa


Traveling is always good for the soul and helps you learn more than you ever can in a classroom, but sometimes you don't realize how much you are separating yourself with the ones you love. I just found out that my grandfather has passed away and his funeral is going to be today. He lived a long life and although it wasn't a complete surprise to our family, I didn't think that it would happen so soon. He was the biggest gentleman I've ever met and I learned alot from him. Although I can't be there in person, you are in my mind and I am saying my own last words. I can't help but feel completely selfish that I can't be there to pay my respects, give my grandmother a huge hug, or just be there for my family. Being so far away makes me realize that with always traveling I am distancing myself away from my family. This has made me question a lot.
Goodbye Grandpa.

2 comments:

gia said...

eddie-

I am loving this website and being able to hear how you are doing. it’s fantastic. the real reason for this comment is to offer my condolences for your grandpa's loss. that is really unfortunate and I know you always spoke so highly of him. I know it is hard, but try not to feel guilt of not being there with your family. your spirit is more pronounced than most people's physical being. remember that your grandpa wanted to you to have a life changing experience, so do just that and keep the posts coming. be safe and show Thailand how we party :)

Officer Bexly said...

This was really nice Eddie--it's a great way to pay your respect. We all thought about you at the funeral and Dad told everyone about your trip :) I'll send you the eulogy Rachel Renee and I put together--Grandpa was a good man! Hope you're hanging in there!! xoxoxo