Monday, March 10, 2008

A Trip to Kanchanaburi

This past weekend was one that I'll always remember. After a very hard week and almost at the finish line with the TEFL certification, I took off to Kanchanaburi to explore some nature and escape the concrete.

I took the earliest bus by myself Saturday morning and was amazed at how the scenery changed as we headed west into the countryside. I didn't leave Friday after class because I had a very important interview at 10pm....I'll tell you more about that later this week. About two and a half hours later we arrived, I found a hostel that was literally floating over the river Kwai. Being a little over 30 miles away from the Myanmar border they had some great Burmese food here! There was so much to do in this town you can spend weeks on end and be completely satisfied and relaxed at the same time. I only had 2 days so I set out into town to explore.
After walking around the town I signed up for a tour to the Tiger Temple, Wat Luang Ta Bua Yanna Sampanno, as it was about an hour outside of town. It started raining as the taxi/bus came to pick me up but I decided to go anyway. There were 2 others who were on the tour as well and we all had some interesting conversations on the way there. I love the information you inquire and the stories you share while traveling! Just as we arrive at the temple the heavy rain magically stopped and the sun came out! I got to walk down into the canyon and pet the huge beasts. Ok, yes this is completely a tourist trap but how many chances do you get to pet a tiger!? And little cubs on top of it! Besides the tigers, animals were just roaming free all around the temple. I was by myself in when I walked under a tree and out from a branch above me jumped a peacock- I guess I threatened its territory and it fanned its feathers and started coming after me. I will NEVER forget that moment. I was shocked but laughing so hard at the same time!
The next day I woke up early and was off on another full-day tour of the area. On the tour also were some guys backpacking who just got in from India, they were really cool to get to know. We first headed to Erawan National Park to explore the 7 waterfalls in the park. It was quite a hike but I needed it after sitting in a classroom all week! I sat down for a break and almost got my passport stolen by none other than a monkey! haha It grabbed my bag and tried to run off that thief!
Next was the Elephant trekking through a Karen Hill tribe village. After speaking all the Thai I know to the mahout (elephant trainer) I found out we were the same again and had a lot in common. He was happy I tried speaking the language so he let me "drive" the elephant. It was so bizarre, especially when the elephant thought my foot was food and sloppered on it with his trunk, quite the experience. From there it was a bamboo raft trip down the river; it was so relaxing and fun.
Next we visited a cave that held a Buddha Shrine then took a train on the Death railway to see the infamous bridge over river Kwai- all you history buffs would have gotten a kick out of that! I won’t say how much this weekend cost me, I want to hear a few guesses- it’s part of the reason I love this country. After another amazing Burmese meal it was time to head back to Bangkok, good ole' BKK. This is my last week in the city as I receive my certification on Thursday morning, tomorrow is the final! I head out Thursday to head north and see more of the country….. I can’t wait!!!

1 comment:

gia said...

eddie

i always love reading your blogs. they always make me smile and admire you! that video is awesome. when you get home, i want to hear more about the deaf monk. it sounds surreal. keep posting :) its a stimulating distraction from my mundane schoolwork. i hope you are safe and having memorable times.

gia