Monday, October 24, 2011

Made it to the one month mark!

Friday was our one month mark of leaving for staging! We made it through the hardest month of the 27, so 26 more to go! It has been crazy adjusting to the culture, going to trainings, trying to figure out how everything works… seems like it has been way longer than just a month!
Training is going really well- we are all getting along great, throwing parties on the weekends, making pizza from scratch- dough..sauce.. cheese- the works, I moved up from in my French class from beginner to passing the placement requirements in one month and we are learning a lot abou. I am getting really comfortable here in the village- learning some new skills of cooking all our meals over a fire… cleaning fish/chicken for dinner and how to make fufu and couscous.
The most exciting thing is that we find out our post on Wednesday! Its crazy to think that we will know where we will be working for the next 2 years so soon!!! Then our counterpart who we will be working with comes on Thursday and we go and visit our new city this upcoming weekend for a week. I have no idea what to expect… Cameroon is such a vast country so I could end up in any type of climate! I look forward to moving into my own place and setting things up!
On Saturday I was in a break-dancing dance-off competition and I made it to the third round! It was hilarious- my host brother asked me to come with him so I went and only wanted to hang out and watch but I was the only foreigner there so I was called up first. It was awesomely embarrassing moment… then the next round was again ridiculous..and the last round was kind of just a roast where everyone made fun of each contestant before the had to dance and we battled it off with the host/dj. If the whole town didn’t already know me before this night, the all do now… haha

1 comment:

Ryan Ballard said...

Wow, it sounds like such an exciting time for you man - all of these experiences for you must be so intense, especially since it is still the beginning of 26 more months! Good luck Eddie, can't wait to stay updated.