Friday, August 20, 2010

On the way out again

A little less than a month after returning from India I am heading out again for a new adventure: South America.  I will be studying Portuguese and learning how the Black Atlantic shaped this part of the world by dancing samba, playing capoiera and gaining an understanding of candomble. For the most part I will be in Bahia, Brazil for a study abroad program and living with a host family, but for now I am kicking off this trip with a visit to Medellin, Colombia to visit my friend Ursula who I studied (and was attached by the hip) with at UC Berkeley. She always invited me to see where she grew up but never thought I would have the opportunity... until now!

Leaving was a bit of a struggle... I had to deal with my passport getting stuck in San Francisco and going to the airport to make up some story to avoid a change flight fee. But, two days later I am in transit and sitting in Miami awaiting for my 4 month departure. I am so excited to see how this trip with change my character.... So far I have loved and felt extremely comfortable traveling through south and southeast Asia. Now is my chance to give South America a try. I've been dreaming of Brazil for so long now and ready to put my few reservations aside to experience life in a new way. I am looking forward to horseback riding in Colombia, celebrating my 25th birthday with friends in Rio, hiking to Macchu Picchu, and dancing salsa whenever I hear a beat.
Michael and Rebecca's Wedding

Boat trips on Lake Erie with my Family
Leaving Cleveland was harder than ever this time. I spent 3 amazing weeks enjoying the summertime at a slower pace than my usual trips home. I got to spend time with everyone individually, see my sister get happily married to a great guy, go on a crazy canoe trip with my dad, and become a local at a few spots in the city with some great friends. This trip made me feel more than ever that my life will turn out to be similar to the Alchemist- the more I see of the world, the more I will realize that what I have been searching for was right in front of me the whole time. That doesn't mean in anyway that I would exchange these experiences I have had so far... I still have some soul searching to do! The next 4 months are awaiting me right now. I am ready for this trip, although it is getting harder and harder to say goodbye to people, it is getting easier to prepare for an international adventure.


Enjoying summer with Gia

No comments: