Sunday, January 10, 2010

Understanding where this is going...

It has been a crazy week bouncing back into Bombay- It feels good to know my way around and have a network of friends in this city. I've been traveling around the city to each college and community HMS works with and it is amazing to see how our program has panned out. As I mentioned in the last post I couldn't help but feel out of place working in a country that is not my own on issues in poverty stricken areas. After seeing the effects of the work our team has put in- it is an empowering feeling to be a part of this program.
The importance of Haath Mein Sehat is for one, that we reach out to communities to we have worked with to spread the message of water storage and hygienic practices. The combination of these can potentially lead to a better quality of life, better access to an education, and less days of work missed due to preventable illnesses. The second important outcome of this project is that it empowers all the members who participate in the program. After talking to some of the college volunteers, it has been very inspirational to hear their feedback about participating with this program. Many of them are deeply involved with community service and youth development. Hearing what they've learned through this process and what they plan to do in the future to motivate more people on these issues.
So... I regained my understanding for way I need to be a part of such organizations.. to be a part of the whole system and to help outreach messages to others and the importance of youth development. I've learned more from this program than any class I've taken in the past and know that I will continue this work in the future. I've learned so much about the effects of lack of access to basic human rights and also gained insights to the politics that are involved in such processes.

1)Talking with the Students about their experiences with HMS
2) Presenting Certificates of Completion to the students and professors of SNDT college

1 comment:

Xtina said...

Eddie! I am glad you had a productive trip! I miss you and the GPP crew!